perated by the Parsons family since 1908, Hillcrest, one of the oldest continuously-owned family orchards in the Rogue River Valley, has grown some of the region’s finest fruit and produce. Hillcrest Orchard was purchased by Reginald H. Parsons and Maude Bemis Parsons in 1908 from J. W. Perkins. Construction of new agricultural buildings and the addition of new plantings of several varieties of pears, apples, and peaches began quickly. The Parsons’ rapid improvements to Hillcrest soon attracted widespread attention, and after only four months of ownership, local newspapers devoted large editorials to Hillcrest, noting that “until today there is no finer orchard in all the valley…”
Leading Rogue Valley architect Frank C. Clark designed the Parsons’ new home with additional out-buildings being added throughout the years. The Parsons family retained employees and kept the trees in healthy condition through the trying times of the Depression and World War II. After the deaths of Reginald and Maude in 1955, their four children administered the property followed by the couple’s eleven grandchildren, who now oversee operations. Plans for the fourth generation to assume leadership will ensure the continuity of family ownership.